Navigating the complexities of funding care in a care home can be daunting, especially in Yorkshire where options and regulations may vary. Understanding your financial avenues and obligations is crucial in making informed decisions for yourself or your loved ones. This article aims to shed light on common queries and concerns around funding care in Yorkshire.

Threshold for Self-Funding

You’re considered a self-funder if your capital exceeds £23,250 in England. Below this threshold, you may qualify for local authority assistance. It’s crucial to seek advice as early as possible to understand your position.

How Much Can You Keep?

When moving into a care home, financial assessments determine how much you need to contribute towards your care. In England, if you have capital below £14,250, your care will be funded by the local authority, but you’re expected to contribute your income, keeping a personal expenses allowance of £24.90 per week (as of 2023).

The 7-Year Rule Explained

The 7-year rule often relates to gifting assets to avoid care fees. However, local authorities can investigate transactions within the last 7 years from the time you apply for care funding. If deemed deliberate deprivation of assets, they may still consider those assets in your financial assessment.

Protecting Your Savings

Care homes don’t directly “take” all your savings, but your financial assessment for care funding will consider your savings above the lower threshold. Planning and advice are key to understanding how to best use your assets for care.

Avoiding the Sale of the Home

Using your home to fund care costs isn’t always inevitable. Options like a deferred payment agreement with the local authority can delay selling your home during your lifetime. Conditions apply, and professional advice is recommended.

Pensions and Nursing Homes

Your pension is considered income and will be assessed as part of your contribution to care costs. However, certain protections and allowances mean not all of it may go towards care fees.

Protecting Inheritance

Protecting inheritance from care costs involves careful estate planning and legal advice. Trusts and property ownership arrangements can be considerations, but they must comply with regulations and not be seen as deliberate deprivation of assets.

Selling the Family Home

Selling a family home to pay for care isn’t always necessary. Options like rental income or a deferred payment agreement may be alternatives. It’s vital to explore all avenues and seek professional advice tailored to your situation.


  • How do I protect my inheritance from a nursing home in the UK? Consider estate planning and consult with a legal advisor to understand the compliant ways to protect your inheritance.
  • Do I have to sell my mum’s house to pay for her care home fees? Not necessarily. Explore options like deferred payment agreements or renting out the property.


Funding care in Yorkshire requires navigating a complex landscape of regulations and options. By understanding your rights, obligations, and the financial support available, you can make informed decisions that ensure comfort and care without unnecessary financial strain. Always seek professional advice to explore the best path for your specific circumstances.

This concise guide aims to provide clarity on funding care in Yorkshire, addressing common concerns with straightforward answers. For more detailed advice tailored to your situation, consulting with financial and legal advisors is highly recommended.